Ninth Annual Reception
of the Cal Alumni Club of Washington DC
City Council Member and Former Mayor,
in conversation with
Washington Bureau Chief
The Chicago Sun-Times
The Cal Alumni Club of Washington, D.C. is pleased to invite you to our 2018 Annual Reception. Our premier annual club event will be held at the historic Arts Club of Washington. We will be honoring our 2018 Distinguished Alumni Honoree, Michael Signer, PhD ’01, current city council member and former mayor of Charlottesville, Virginia.
Michael Signer was already known for his leadership on issues related to innovation, democracy, opportunity, and national security, but as mayor of Charlottesville, Virginia, he was tested in new and unexpected ways last August, when clashes erupted during a white nationalist rally. In the aftermath of this incident, Mike--who completed his doctoral degree at Cal--emerged as a national voice expressing outrage at white supremacists. Today, Mike serves Charlottesville as a member of the city council. He is also a businessman, lecturer, and author.
This year, attendees will have the opportunity to participate in a discussion with the honoree, after his speech, in conversation with Lynn Sweet '73, Washington Bureau Chief with the Chicago Sun-Times.
The Annual Reception is the premier annual event of the Cal Alumni Club of Washington, D.C. This important event helps raise much-needed funding to support our expansive club operations and to support student scholarships at UC Berkeley. Through our previous five receptions, the D.C. Cal community has raised over $25,000 for CAA Leadership Awards and Cal in the Capital.
Come enjoy heavy appetizers, an open bar, and the ambiance of an historic private club, centrally located in Washington, D.C.
The Annual Reception represents our opportunity to recognize notable Cal alumni in the National Capital region. Our previous Distinguished Alumni honorees are:
- 2017 - Cecilia Munoz, Former Director, White House Domestic Policy Council,Obama Administration
- 2016 - Maureen Orth, Special Correspondent, Vanity Fair
- 2015 - The Very Rev Gary Hall, Dean of the Washington National Cathedral
- 2013 - Carol Greider, Nobel Laureate, Molecular Biologist & Distinguished Professor, Johns Hopkins University
- 2012 - Beth Brinkmann, Deputy Assistant Attorney General, Department of Justice - Civil Division
- 2010 - Lorenzo Alexander, former Pro Bowl linebacker for the Washington Redskins and founder of the ACES Foundation
- 2009 - The Honorable Norman Y. Mineta, former Secretary of Commerce and Transportation
- 2008 - Marc Pachter, former Director of the National Portrait Gallery
Note: If you would prefer to pay by check, please mail (and make your check payable to):
Cal Alumni Club of Washington, D.C.Attention: Robin Gordon, TreasurerP.O. Box 7509Arlington, VA 22207
Remember, we need to receive your check prior to the event, so mail early! Also, if you are bringing a guest, please indiciate their first and last names for our name tags.
We hope you will be able to join us on June 14 to meet other distinguished guests and fellow alumni, enjoy a great meal in an amazing and historic location, and help support the university that has given us all so much.
We hope to see you on June 14. Thank you and GO BEARS!
When: Thu Jun. 14
6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
Address: 2017 I Street NW
Washington DC,US 20006
Web: Visit Website