July 28, is dynamic First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy’s 89th birthday (1929). Join us for a guided walking tour through Georgetown to see several of the most interesting places connected to Jackie - before, during and after her White House years.
Did you know that while residing in Washington, DC Jacqueline:
- Graduated from George Washington University, class of 1951, and later took additional courses at Georgetown University.
- Worked as a newspaper reporter for the Washington Times-Herald.
- Met her future husband Jack at a Georgetown dinner party.
- Became engaged to Jack at a Georgetown tavern.
- Resided in Georgetown both before and after the White House years.
- Gave birth to her son, John Jr. at Georgetown University Hospital.
- Served as, and transformed the role of First Lady of the United States.
- Became a fashion icon and style-setter.
- Remodeled the White House, founded the White House Historical Association, hosted an Emmy-winning television program and helped save Lafayette Square from demolition.
- Supported the development the Kennedy Center.
- Etc., etc.
Many of these events took place right in Georgetown. Come see where they actually occurred on this guided walking tour led by Robert Kelleman, the founder of Washington, DC History & Culture.
Please note, our tour has two separate meeting points and times.
Unofficial Start: 5:00 pm at the Foggy Bottom Metro Station - street level exit
Official Start: 5:30 pm at Le Pain Quotidien - 2815 M St NW
The unofficial start time is simply meeting your host Robert and several others at the Foggy Bottom Metro station and walking together as a group to Georgetown for the official start of our tour.
Registration: As this is a limited space event (and to reduce “no shows”) there is a $6.90 per person registration fee to participate in this tour, with proceeds supporting our Washington, DC History & Culture non-profit community programs. Full refund if the event is cancelled or if you change your RSVP to “no” at least 72 hours beforehand.
Weather: This event will take place light rain (sprinkles) or shine. If it’s on our calendar, then we’re proceeding as scheduled.
Meeting Point: Unofficial Start = 5:00 pm at the Foggy Bottom Metro Station - street level exit or Official Start = 5:30 pm at Le Pain Quotidien - 2815 M St NW
Ending Point: Our official ending point will be in Georgetown; however, afterward you are welcome to join us in walking back to the Foggy Bottom Metro station.
Additional Questions: Anything that can’t be answered by the above event description, Google, or common sense please let us know.
This program is sponsored by the non-profit community organization Washington, DC History & Culture.
“Bringing people together to experience the history and culture of Washington, DC.”
For more events please see our Eventbrite, Facebook and Meetup calendars:
We look forward to seeing you - thanks!
When: Monday, Jul. 30
9:30 pm - 11:45 pm
Web: Visit Website